Sunday, September 8, 2013

Grandma's 90th Birthday Celebration!

This year my boyfriend's grandma, Phyllis, turned 90 years old. To celebrate, the family threw a surprise birthday party. She was surprised to say the least and it was a beautiful day for a party! All the kids, grandkids and great-grandkids made it out for the party and it was really special for her and everyone.
The Birthday Girl Arrives!
Naturally I had to make some cookies. The only problem was the drive. From our house it is about 2-2.5 hours east and over the mountains to the little town of Wenatchee. I knew there was no way I could get the cookies over there in one piece. The other difficulty is the fact that his parents live in his grandma's house (long story) and because it was a surprise, I didn't want her to see them! I decided that I had to frost the cookies over in Wenatchee... but where?

Don't Mess With the BDAY Girl

Thankfully our friend's Kyle and Becky came to the rescue and let me use their kitchen to frost the cookies and let them set over night! Big shout out to Becky for letting me do that on such short notice. It worked out perfectly! I made the cookies the night before we left and then frosted them the night before the party. Here are some pictures of the treats and the birthday girl!

90 Birthday, Dragon Fly Cookie, Flower Cookies, Daisy Cookies
The Cookie Platter


The Big 9-0

Dragon Fly Sugar Cookies
Dragonfly Cookies

 I love this little dragonfly cookie cutter. The only difficulty with this cookie cutter is the tail. It is VERY fragile. I made extra's just in case and I ended up breaking about half of them.

Crown Tiara Sugar Cookies
90th Birthday Crown Cookies

 I almost didn't do the crown but I am glad I did because the birthday girl was wearing her tiara and it was too perfect!
Daisy Flower Sugar Cookies
Daisy Flowers and Dragon Fly Cookies

The daisy sugar cookies were one of my new cutters and I was so excited to use this one. I loved the bright colors and the cookie is about 1-2" which is the perfect "cookie" size in my opinion!

Cupcake Sugar Cookie
Cupcake Sugar Cookies (My First Cutter)

The cupcake was the first cookie cutter from a class I took back in the spring, and what started my passion and hobby of baking and frosting cookies. Without that class, I would not be where I was today! 

Birthday Sugar Cookie Platter
The Other Cookie Platter
 Happy birthday to Grandma!

1 comment: